Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Sew it and a Baby Will Need It

I started this new year with a challenge to myself. I saw a Quilt Along (QAL) on social media and thought it might give me some prompts for block ideas. It is headed by Molli Sparkles The draw was to use the top shelf fabric that is "too good to cut up." It is the paradox of most quilters, buying luscious fabric to cut up and sew back together, then thinking it is too nice to cut. Saving it for later.I am not yet committed to the QAL, at this point I'm a voyeur. The first block is Scrappy Cross Patchwork Block by Bonjour Quilts This is an easy block that uses up litte scraps. It can be matchy or completely scrapped out. I've seen this block in quilts both small and large. It is eye catching. I decided to start with a color that I seldom use: pink. I made a block using some fun Tula Pink and Kaffe Fassett florals. The cross is a purple plaid by Jason Yenter. I liked the block although it doesn't have musch value contrast.So I sewed a few more pink blockks adding some value variety. Pretty quickly I had 9 blocks, enough for a baby quilt. I decided to go ahead and make the quilt, and then put it up for sale in my etsy shop.
I chose a pretty Kaffe triangle print for the back. It has pinks and greens in soft pastel tones.The binding is a violet Moda gradient. It frames the quilt and draws your eyes toward the blocks
What challenges or resoutions have you set for the year?

2 comments: