Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

BFD = Best Friend Dog

Phew! The Christmas, Hanukkah, and December Birthday rush is behind me. I am sew relieved. Of course I know it is coming each year, and yet I don't feel motivated to make stuff until the last month or so. Sew. I want to share two sweet projects that were completed after the rush. First, a little wall hanging quilt for Mr. Thimblepie. It is a puppy picture of our now very old labradog, Abby. Here she was at 4 months old, wet and sandy faced on the boat. (Now she is 12 ½ yrs old and quite white, lumpy and lovely.)

Abby loves riding on the jetboat.
I chose fabrics that would draw attention to her pretty brown eyes. I quilted it with metallic Sulky in waves that simulate the Salmon River. I mostly piece bindings, this project is no exception.

The other dog project was an item from my etsy shop donated to a silent auction fund raiser for a dog rescue group, handsome dan's rescue. The woman who purchased the item sent my a lovely photo of her now deceased dog, Rylie. She gave me artistic license to create a wall hanging and here it is:



The wonderful fabric for these two quilts is Moda fabric, mostly "Woof, Woof, Meow," designed by Stacy Iest Hsu.  The dog rescue group said they raised over $20,000 from donated items. I am glad I could help. I can't imagine life without a dog.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome work ! My sister loved her Asian theme quilt that I sent for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. That Trip around the world in reds with asian flavor was fun to make. I am happy that it found a good home.

      Delete
  2. What fun doggie quilts. We have a 12 year old chocolate lab too and she's a little lumpy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great little quilts, Jane. I especially enjoy your choice of dog-related fabrics for the second quilt. What fund to surround Rylie with bones and footprints.

    How wonderful that you Abby is still with you at 12½ years. Our Airedale girl will be 13 in March but was just diagnosed with lymphoma. We don't know how long she'll be with us. Enjoy your Abby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy. It is hard to imagine life without our dogs. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete