Pages

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Some of My Best Friends are Flakes

Snow flakes, that is... On a frigid, single digit morning, Mr. Thimblepie and I drove up the road that hugs the Salmon River. Ice bridges span the "River of No Return." Animals must be hunkered down, because we see only a few footprints, and not even raptors overhead. We drove the 26 mile road to the very end, at Vinegar Creek, on an errand to retrieve Heinz and Barbara's rig. I brought my handwork, clipping the fringe on my first ever flannel rag quilt. It is appropriately cammo colors, fitting for our hunting community. It is a raffle quilt for the Salmon River High School, and my December goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes. Though this post is only for goal setting, I already finished it, and it turned out great!! It is a nap size quilt, 40" x 72." Tickets for the quilt will be on sale at the High School Basketball games, and proceeds go to the students for activities.  Here is the process, which I learned from this tutorial.


6 1/2 " flannel blocks for the front and back, with 5" batting inside, quilted with an X.


Sewn in strips and then all together, and the seams clipped .

Displayed against the backdrop of the Icy Wilderness.
 The flannel was part of a huge gift of fabric samples from my aunt, Sonja Mann Holbrook who is a fabric rep for Moda Fabrics. The back is scrappy blue and green flannels. The batting was a gift from my generous sister, Pam Cope.

1 comment:

  1. a very nice quilt to donate! whoever wins that will be so lucky to get something made by you. Very nice flannels. It looks so soft and warm. Love your descriptions of the scenery, weather and wildlife (or lack thereof.) Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete