Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Border Conflict

Choosing borders for a commissioned quilt top is causing a big mess in my studio. It looks like a fabric fight. When I leave lids off of my fabric totes, my cat loves to dig in and make a nest, but she doesn't hold a candle to me when it comes to making a big mess. I searched through browns, yellows, blues, greens, and what a disaster!

Chai loves to nest in the fabric.
I am NOT posting a photo of my mess. I just crammed everything back in the various totes and promised to refold the contents later.    I cut up all of the focus fabric, intending to have an extra set of pieces for a kit for my etsy shop.  I sewed the blocks, set them on point in a pattern, sewed them together, and then realized I was on the horns of a dilemma. I knew I'd need borders, but finding just the right framing fabric was tougher than I had imagined.   I did finally find a suitable fabric for the border. It will be the brown pebble side propeller fabric, pieced.


Vintage airplanes, rick rack, and Amy Butler "eyelash" fabric. I think it looks like angel wings.

Airship propellers, before the borders. 





Last week I finished a commissioned quilt for a little girl who is having a birthday. She loves horses and pink, so I made her a soft and dreamy snuggle quilt.Sweet dreams.

Valorie Wells border fabric.


Robert Kaufman paisley flannel on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment